RNnetwork Blog

Everything you need to know about travel nursing.

Career tips Destinations

Travel assignments in 37 states on one nursing license: 2023 nurse licensure update

Last updated January 3, 2023 to to add Ohio which has now joined the compact.

Being able to work in multiple states under one nurse license is expanding across the country. So far, 37 states and two territories have passed legislation and joined the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). This is an important development for travel nurses because it makes your nurse license a lot more portable.

What states can I work in with a Nurse Compact license?

These are the 37 states and two U.S. territories that have passed eNLC legislation and belong to the compact.

*Guam has partial implementation. This means nurses with active multi-state NLC licenses can practice in Guam. However, it also means nurses with Guam as their primary state of residency can’t apply for a multi-state license until the NLC is fully implemented there in 2022.

**Pennsylvania and the U.S.V.I. have entered the compact but are still awaiting implementation.

States with pending eNLC legislation include:

  • Alaska
  • Illinois
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Rhode Island
  • Washington

Important travel nurse license facts about the NLC

To help you understand how the Nurse Licensure Compact works, the National Council of State Boards of Nursing has put together an online list of frequently asked questions and answers. Several more states are considering joining the compact. Here’s how to stay informed as things develop:

  1. Visit the NCSBN website for important eNLC updates
  2. Contact your home state board for application specifics
  3. Get in touch with your RNnetwork recruiter for additional help

We’ve summarized a few answers to the most common questions here, and you can see the complete list on the NCSBN website.

Q: How can I get a compact multistate license if I live in a noncompact state?

A: Only nurses who declare a compact state as their primary state of residence are eligible for a multistate license. If you are a resident of a noncompact state, you can still apply for a license in a compact state. However, your eligibility will be limited to a single state license that is valid in that state only. Of course, you can have as many single-state licenses as you wish.

Q: What does Primary State of Residence mean?

A: For compact purposes, primary state of residence (PSOR) is not related to property ownership in a given state. It is about your legal residency status. If a nurse’s PSOR is a compact state, that nurse may be eligible for a multistate (compact) license. If a nurse cannot declare a compact state as his/her PSOR, that nurse is not eligible for a compact license.

Q: I live in a compact state and have a license from that state. What do I need to do to get a multistate license?

A: When you applied for that license, if you declared that state as your primary state of residence and met the licensure requirements of that state, the license you were issued should already be a multistate license. A good way to check is to use the Quick Confirm tool at www.nursys.com. In the event your license is not designated as multistate, you will need to contact the your primary state of residence’s board of nursing.

What does it all mean for me right now?

The short answer is that more than half the country is in reach with one home state license. And as other states join the compact, getting a multi-state license will open up even more travel possibilities. That doesn’t mean the bar will be lower — you still have to be great at what you do with the documentation to prove it. What it does mean is that once you clear your home state licensing hurdles, there’s a process in place to practice in multiple compact states.

Imagine the new people, places, and experiences that are waiting for you out there. Whether you crave fulfilling new patient care opportunities, new friendships, or the chance to make off-time memories in new places, this is an industry trend that’s great for you.

For additional licensing help, talk to your RNnetwork recruiter or for general assistance call 800.866.0407.

About the author

Tim McDonnell

Tim McDonnell is a content developer at RNnetwork and loves bringing people together with stories that make a difference. After hours, Tim is a book, movie, and music enthusiast and will seize just about any opportunity to travel.


Click here to post a comment

  • Question: If my Nursing license is originally from California, but I move to Idaho, and declare that as my primary state of residence and obtain a nursing license in Idaho…does that make me eligible for the compact states? Or will I still have to obtain a license in each state I wish to travel to?

    • If you make Idaho your state of residence and apply and receive your Compact license from them then you will be able to work in states that accept a Compact license.

  • I just renew my florida license. I also have NY license what are the steps to take to get a compact license

    • There is another fee with the state of Florida for the multi state. Just contact the board of nursing on their website. You can upgrade there.

  • Dear mam,i have rn license of newjersey…I can work in other states with this license or not…please reply..what’s the procedures….

    • Hello Johnsy, according to the NLC website, New Jersey is allowing nurses who hold active, unencumbered, multi-state licenses issued by Nurse Licensure Compact member states to practice in New Jersey under their multi-state licenses. For further questions about where a nurse licensed in New Jersey can work, I would recommend contacting your local regulatory body for the most up-to-date information.

    • Because Hawaii is not part of the licensure compact, you would need to obtain a Hawaiian nurse license prior to beginning work there. If you’re interested in working in Hawaii with RNnetwork, one of our consultants will be able to help walk you through the steps of obtaining one. You can reach us through the link at the top of our website or by calling 1-800-866-0407.

    • Hi, I have a multi state license from MO. Can I work in GA on that license, or do I have to get a GA license?

      • Both MO and GA are part of the NLC, so it should be easier for you to work in both states. I recommend you speak directly with your recruiter to get further details.

  • Hi, my name is Juan Coss I am a Registered Nurse for the state of New Jersey, I am working for almost 14 years for Home Health Care as a case manager and clinical supervisor, I don’t have experience in other field like ICU, ER or Tele in US. But in Cuba i worked for ICU an ER for a few years. Do I have any chance to be a traveler nurse since I have a multi state RN license?

    • Hi Juan, we recommend connecting directly with a recruiter to discuss your experience and what your options are for travel nursing. Thanks!

    • The NLC isn’t currently tracking nurse license legislation in Puerto Rico, but we will be sure to add it to our map as soon as they do!

  • Do you have any idea when PA will be implemented? I have an OH license, but live in PA. I don’t want to pay for licensure in PA if implementation will include it in the next 6 mos.

    • Hi Stephanie, I’m not aware when it will be implemented in PA, but you can also check with your recruiter – they may have some more insight into the situation.

  • Hello Alisa,

    Do you know when Wa State will join NLC or how long it takes to completed the process if they already applied for?


    • Hi AJ, it appears that legislation has been introduced in Washington to join the NLC but no further action has been taken on the bill at this time. If it is approved, I’m not sure how long it will take to complete the process, but hopefully it will be quick!

  • PA is my home state and I have an active license, can I practice anywhere or is that just so out of state people can work with a compact license? I dont get what the implementation part means…

  • Hi
    I’m a nurse from MO which is a a compact state. Would I still need to apply for licensure in Ohio if their implementation was July 2021 but enacted date is January 2023? What’s the difference?

    • Hi Cheryl, we recommend contacting the Pennsylvania state board of nursing for the most recent updates on its implementation status.

  • I have an LVN license that is current in the state of California. I’m considering moving out of state. What state can I continue to work in and transfer my license without having to take the exam over again

    • Hello John, California is not currently part of the Nurse Licensure Compact, so you’ll need to directly contact any licensing board in the state you’re interested in moving to and ask what the requirements will be to transfer your license.

  • Hi i got my license in Louisiana and my wife is in the military and we are looking to move to Washington for her BOP since her contract is almost up but how does that work with me getting a license in Washington since they’re not apart of the NLC states?

    • Hi Jadyn, if Washington is not part of the NLC, you’ll need to contact their state licensing board directly to learn how you can obtain a license.

  • Good afternoon, I am a RN license and working in NY, I am interested in travel nursing-since NY is not part of NCL, am I only limited to working in 1 given state at a time?

    • Hi Kim, please reach out to an RNnetwork consultant to find out how they can assist you with obtaining additional licenses.


Ready to get started?

Let us know where to reach you, and a recruiter will be in touch shortly.

Questions? 800.866.0407

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.