When you’re on the go, it can be hard to stay up-to-date on the latest nursing news and know what’s most important to read. With so many nursing journals and websites out there, which ones should you check out? We’ve put together a list of the 10 best publications below.
1. American Nurse Today. The official journal of the American Nurses Association, published monthly, offers nurses clinical tips, articles on career advancement, practice updates, drug updates and continuing education information.
2. Nursing Made Incredibly Easy. A play on the books of the same title, this website is dedicated to providing easy-to-read, playful articles about caring for patients, taking care of yourself and new nursing techniques, as well as free continuing education credits.
3. The American Nurse. Another official publication of the American Nurses Association, The American Nurse is published six times a year and focuses on updating nurses on the ANA’s work and providing relevant industry articles and news.
4. NursingTimes.net. For the largest source of news, including articles in specialty categories such as mental health, gastroenterology, cardiology and wound care, check out Nursing Times. You’ll also find a large collection of learning units and jobs board to help you find the perfect position for you.
5. The Open Nursing Journal. This open-access online journal includes articles, reviews, and letters within different categories, including healthcare management, education, case studies and research.
6. International Journal of Nursing. Dedicated to providing an international forum for researchers from different countries to study the impact of culture on nursing, The International Journal of Nursing offers peer-reviewed, open-access articles about nursing education and healthcare delivery, management, organization, policy and research.
7. Applied Nursing Research. With features such as an “Ask the Experts” section, book reviews, editorials, clinical methods and research briefs, this open-access, peer-reviewed journal presents information for all nursing specialties. Topics include nursing diagnosis, nurse/physician collaboration, patient education and even job stress.
8. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. The official journal of the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation & Learning (INACSL) offers subscribers monthly articles from research, practice, teaching and management perspectives involving simulation and technology, as well as posts about guidelines and policies impacting nursing and healthcare practice.
9. Nursing Education Perspectives. This publication, the research journal of the National League for Nursing, provides nurse educators a forum and resource for information about curriculum, technology, retaining and recruiting students, and teaching.
10. Journal of Advanced Nursing. Readers who subscribe to this international, peer-reviewed journal have access to research papers on nursing and midwifery practice, management, education and policy. The Journal of Advanced Nursing (JAN) promotes internationally relevant nursing research and scholarship and publishes only papers that meet that criteria.
Check out even more nursing publications in this article — and share your favorites with us below!