Although we just celebrated the first day of spring, it’s still brisk in many parts of the country this time of year. Warm up with this savory — and simple to make — chili! Cornbread and a garden salad are excellent complements to this dish as well.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, minced
- 3 (15-oz.) cans pinto beans
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 4 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 3 jalapeno peppers, minced (optional)
- ½ cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Cook the beef, onion and bell pepper in a large pot over medium heat until the beef is brown and onion and pepper are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain grease from beef.
Stir in beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapenos (if using), chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Bring mixture to a slow boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer chili at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick.
Garnish with shredded cheese and tortilla chips if desired. Note: This chili can be simmered for several hours to enhance the flavor.