It’s National Nurses Week (May 6-12, 2015), and we’re celebrating the hard work you do every day in facilities around the country. When you’re working as a travel nurse and aren’t a permanent member of the staff, you may not feel as appreciated. Here are several reasons you make a difference:
- You provide desperately needed care in understaffed areas. Thanks to your willingness to travel the United States as a nurse, thousands of patients receive quality care, some of whom may have had to drive hours to receive it otherwise.
- You bring unique nursing experience to your job. As a travel nurse, you get to experience both rural and urban settings (if you choose them) and work in a variety of different facilities. Your varied experiences help you be a better nurse and better at helping your new coworkers to save patients’ lives.
- You allow other nurses to enjoy time off and help prevent burnout. Taking even a short 13-week assignment can make it possible for a nurse to take maternity leave, an extended vacation or even just an extra day off per week.
Want even more reasons to celebrate? Check out these companies offering freebies and discounts to nurses for National Nurses Week.
- Amazon.com: Pull out your Kindle or tablet and download a free ebook, The White Linen Nurse
- Cinnabon: Nurses get a free Cinnabon Classic Roll or MiniBon roll when they present their healthcare ID badge.
- Johnson & Johnson: Choose from free magnets, pins and coloring/activity books for kids that promote nursing
- Unbound Medicine: Download the app Nursing Central free this week and get access to the drug guide, medical dictionary, diseases and disorders guide, and top journals and medical publications
Happy National Nurses Week from everyone at RNnetwork! We hope you receive the recognition you deserve.